Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Martha and Me in the Big House


Welcome to the glorious world of Gardening at Super K ! It is indeed a glorious day, it's cool out, the sun is shining, and the sky is blue. What a great week it's been (especially the mornings) getting the plants watered and fed, before all Hell breaks loose!
And I mean that literally. I've been enjoying my new job at the Super K Garden Shop. I've dubbed it the Martha's House of Plants, since almost everything in the shop has Martha's name on it except the plants themselves. I've been busy everyday (since no body, and I mean NO body in the Big K likes to work in the Garden shop, but ironically I do (so far). The reason they don't like working in the shop? Well because you actually WORK your butt off in there and the days seems to fly by for me. This is when all hell breaks loose. (When the doors open and the customers arrive ALL expecting personal service as well as carry out....and I'm the only person working in the shop!) Yea, it's a wee bit short handed at the Big K. So far, I'm the cashier, stock person, plant advisor, the carryout, and what ever else should turn up. Thus far, if I don't know the answer to a plant question, I fake it. Not really, but I do read a bit up on the plants as we get them. I'm going from Artist , to Restauranteur, and now to Horticulturist. (Anyone in need of a residence Artist that cooks and gardens, please let me know.)LOL. So this is what I have been doing for the past 2 weeks, and guess what? Since I have to be to work in the mornings, and I have to leave by 7:30 am for my 2.67 mile hike, no body has bugged me for a smoke! Now THAT is a GOOD THING! : )