Monday, March 27, 2006

Someone to Watch "Over" Me...

Deslily had a big brain fart yesterday, (see her journal...I'm sure you all got the message) But before that , and she remembered how to do things on her journal...she did start this page for me! We were chatting on friday and needed some pics to add to my blog/journal and she sent this one along. And since she added Shambala's link to the blogspot, I thought I'd add this photo of me too.
This of course is Timbo, over me, that is. I had gone to visit mom when she was living in California and volunteering at Shambala during the weekends. So of course, I had to go and see all the great animals that were there.( If I remember correctly, this was after the earthquake, and her camping for a week outside, incident.)
If you've read about, or seen some of the pics from Shambala, then you already know it is an animal preserve run by Tippi Hedren. Along with Timbo are lions, tigers, (no bears, oh my) and some other exotic animals. At one point I know ther was a very large albino python (mom will send the pic and I'll post it later.)
While there, it was an "Open House" weekend. One weekend a month Shambala is open to the public for tours. I took the tour along with the other guests, while mom did her volunteer work. Along the way, the trainers (or keepers) are usually with the animals to talk to the guests. I remember one very funny incident. Walking along past the animal pens, we came upon the male lion. Now, the trainer had been in there with the big cat, just to make sure the animal wasn't aroused by the guests, even though the lion was from a circus or zoo and had, at one time probably entertained guests. As we approached the pen, the trainer warned the guests not to get too close to the pen boundry. But, by this time it was too late! No, the lion did not attack the fence, or the trainer. The Lion simply had walked up to the fence, then turned around to walk back towards the trainer. During which time, the lion "sprayed" a few guests! I was glad I wasn't among them, I stayed to the back of the crowd! The cat was just marking his territory and a few people, too! I laughed so had I was crying, and was glad I wasn't hit. Those of us that have house cats know what a fatal smell cat spray can be!(If not nutered.) I obviously had someone watching over me that day, and a few people brought home a souvenir that they probably didn't forget for a long while!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home