Thursday, March 16, 2006

Round Robin: Signs

I was reading Dornbrau's Journal (Photo's you should see, Not Dustbunnies Club..) And the Round Robin topic is :Signs. Well not really having and photos around at the library Computer center..I 'll use what I've got on the internet.

Mistress Sebrina, came about as a sorta Joke. And I mean that. When I first moved to Atlanta, everyweek there was an add for Mistress Sebrina in the classifieds. I thought it was a hoot, but to each their own (fantasy).


In turn, I was bored and came up with the idea for the painting. I did exhibit it, and sold it (the one you see here is the original, painted about 1995. I recently repainted another). The buyer was a very eccentric Jewish lady , that in turn was buying it as a Joke. (For her Rabbi!)

I guess when something starts off as a joke...let it run. As for signage...I love to hear people critique paintings at a show. "What was this person thinking?" "What sorta drugs were they on when they were painting" And of course the "metaphors". One person said it was suggestive selling of Mistress Sebrina. I wasn't quite sure what they meant at the time, but I will always remember it.

The background has an "open" for business sign, a "frankfurter"sign, and my favorite the "specials" sign. All of them metaphors for selling of Mistress Sebrina? No it wasn't. I had found a Very realistic painting of a diner, and thought I'd use it as the background, and I also added "Mable" the waitress, with her look of shock as Mistress Sebrina walked by.
So indeed it was a joke, nothing more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home