Thursday, March 16, 2006

Starstruck...Speedbumps..and other Oddities

Well, it's Tuesday near lunchtime, so I have to wait till closer to after lunch to go back out job hunting, cause no one will talk to you durning lunch anyway. Since I have no pictures to throw up here yet..I'm passing on today's" What animal are you most like?" topic. So instead I'm going to post a book review of the books I read last night...something maybe of interest...

STARSTRUCK by Michael Joseph Gross :At first I thought this was going to be fiction, but it turned out to be non fiction. And if anyone has ever written a letter to a celebrity for an autograph, this book I'm sure, has a story you can relate to. Mostly Micheal writes stories about growing up an autograph hound, at a time way back (Maybeee 25 years ago) when Stars still appreciated their fans, and fans were not hunting them down stalking them with butcher knives. He also continues his antedotes about going to conventions, and stories about hanging with some celebrities, some nice, some not so nice. Since Dennis Weaver and Don Knotts passed away recently, Micheal Gross brings up a short about death of celebrities, and I included a passage here because it reminded me of when my mother lived in California and assisted a few celebrities at such autograph conventions. "In the ballroom, death is on a lot of people's minds. Wayne Schulman, who works for a bond house, told me he started collecting autographs because, when Jack Benny died, he thought, "I'm never going to get his autograph." Since then, he's amassed a huge collection, and for him, the Beverly Garland (Renaissance Inn Convention) is a chance to "get them before they are dead." When I asked Darryl Bechthold, a video producer, what makes the show special for him, he said, " Several people have died since I started getting autographs here. Like Dr. Smith from...what's that TV series? Where they travel, with Guy Williams and the robot? Well, I just happened to get him, and the next thing you know, he's gone. So you gotta get them now, or you're not going to get them."

My mother was at such a convention and mentioned to me about meeting "Dr. Smith", so I figured I'd include that passage. But she can tell you that story, and I'm sure, add a few photos. It's a somewhat interesting book, I got bored when he discussed a few celebrities, but they were boring celebrties in the first place.

SPEEDBUMPS by Teri Garr : Now that's she's touring the talkshows of daytime TV promoting her book, I found Teri Garr's book in the "New" section of the Library, and gave it a chance. At first I thought the book was just going to be about her dealing with MS. It is not! This is a humourous, whitty,gangle of stories about her life from being a dancer in Elvis and Annette Funichello movies to her "What Knockers" scene in "Young Frankenstein" to being nominated for an Academy Award in "Tootsie." Only about the last 15% of the book covers her illness and strive to continue. I enjoyed reading this one and recommend to anyone that like Autobiographies.

Well, as you can see, that's what I did last night. Sat back and read and tried not to think about much besides what I was submersed in. I have no idea what I will try to write about in this journal, it might be the daily topic , a book review, a story, a rant or rave, a receipe,but I don't think I'll take photos of being Dead , like Deadguy.com just to get on a talk show! (I think that's the web address ? )

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. A friend of your moms. I want to be her adopted daughter. lol I love your book review and I love autobiographies. Will have to check out the one on Terri Garr. Sounds interesting. Stop by and visit me sometime. GBU, Shelly
http://journals.aol.com/xxroxymamaxx/XXRoxyMamaXX/

Friday, March 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home